About It Park
Situated from the many fjord that is southerly the united states, Porteau Cove Provincial Park features waterfront campsites with a view over Howe Sound into the hills beyond.
A vintage ship happens to be sunk to supply interest for scuba divers and also to attract marine life. You can find unique facilities for divers.
Date Established: 24, 1981 Park Size: 56 hectares (4 hectares of upland and 52 hectares of foreshore july)
Know Prior To Going
- Tide, weather and wind conditions can alter unexpectedly in Howe Sound. Be careful while swimming and boating in this area.
- Please guarantee kiddies are supervised while from the crisis ferry pier.
- Scuba divers aren’t allowed to make use of the motorboat launch.
- The BC Rail train track skirts the boundary associated with park. Going into the park calls for crossing the train track. This is certainly a managed train crossing, be careful and obey all indications.
- You can find 2 low tide markers near the drifting dock that aren’t mooring buoys and mark really superficial water. Anchoring is prohibited inside the park boundary.
- As a result of appeal and measurements associated with campground, BC Parks has implemented a stay that is maximum of 7 evenings when you look at the top season in this park (June 15 to Labour Day, comprehensive). Reservations are designed through BC ParksвЂ™ Discover Camping Reservation System.
- Leave No Trace: examining the beach that is rocky Porteau Cove could be a thrilling and gratifying experience, but fishing, shellfish harvesting or elimination of other marine life isn’t permitted. Please minmise your disruption by making every thing as it is found by you.
- Public Pay Phones: the pay that is public are no longer available. They are eliminated through the adjacent highway construction and there’s no information available as to if this service will likely to be reinstated.
- Septic System: Porteau Cove is for a system that is septic like the sani-station and washroom structures. Antibacterial soaps and chemicals that are harsh the health insurance and functionality associated with the system. Please help protect the septic system and water quality through the use of just biodegradable soaps throughout your stay
- Sani-Station вЂ“ Winter provider: The station that is sani stay available unless freezing conditions are forecasted. The sani station will be closed until the temperatures remain above freezing over a 24 hour period during periods of freezing weather.
- Aquatic Conservation: examining the coastline and diving/snorkelling could be a worthwhile experience at Porteau Cove. Please practise keep no trace ethics whenever observing marine life during the park by making every thing it and by not removing or handling the wildlife as you find. Beach fires aren’t allowed. Please see gatehouse in the campground for upcoming interpretive demonstrations and activities!
- Stargazing and Aurora Borealis viewing is starting to become ever more popular at Porteau Cove. Please lessen light air pollution in the park to improve stargazing satisfaction by steering clear of the utilization of bright lights and turning down external lights between 10pm and 7am.
- Because of the close proximately of campsites at this park, be sure to guarantee music and loud sounds are held inside your campsite all of the time to offer site visitors aided by the possibility to feel the noises of nature, and also to protect and boost the soundscape of this park.
- Arrange ahead/carpool: Due to high volumes of traffic while the little size of the park, there clearly was restricted parking available. One extra automobile is allowed per campsite for the extra charge. There clearly was no more than 2 cars per campsite whenever you want. Walk-in campsites have actually only one automobile space per web web site anytime. Drop-offs may not be accommodated as a result of security risk of park road becoming limited. Extra parking comes in the day-use parking great deal, but spaces that are extra never be available on weekends. Visitors must register when they remain in the park past 11pm and display a permit that is valid their automobile. Non-registered visitors aren’t allowed within the park previous 11pm.
- Please be aware: peaceful Hours are 10 pm to 7 am: Music, generators, etc. should be shut down totally between these hours.
- Generator usage is just allowed involving the full hours of 9am вЂ“ 11am, and from 6pm вЂ“ 8pm. View the generator policy
All campsite reservations should be made through Discover Camping.
Whenever reservations aren’t available all campsites work as very very first come, first served.
Campsite Reservations: This park is available year-round and it is often complete during good climate. Campsite reservations are needed for several campsites in this park from March 24 to 9 october.
Location and Maps
Maps and Brochures
Nature and tradition
- History: whenever вЂњPorteauвЂќ (porte dвЂ™eau) is translated from French into English this means вЂњWaterвЂ™s GateвЂќ. This title dates from 1908 whenever John F. Deeks started mining the sand that is extensive gravel deposits right right right here to produce Vancouver. A little community of workers lived right right here before the start of anxiety, enjoying good housing, a schoolhouse, tennis courts, and day-to-day ferry service through the Union Steamship business. These ferries, Lady Cynthia and Lady Cecilia, operated between Vancouver and Squamish before the railway (then your Pacific Eastern that is great extended from Squamish into North Vancouver.
- Conservation: You are going to the intertidal house of residing flowers and pets wife online. Please protect your marine resources by making them as you will find them.